Thursday, October 20, 2011

Refrigerator Pickles


      This was my first attempt at making pickles and honestly I could not believe how easy it was. I didn't want to go through the canning process this time so I decided to try my hand at refrigerator pickles. They stay crispy with this method and taste really good! I have to say I may never buy store bought again.

Pickling cucumbers season is quickly coming to an end, but you should still be able to find them at farmers markets This is a super easy recipe and a great way to feel a sense of accomplishment. Give 'em a try.

A few things I found out through my research that may help you on your way to success:

Soft or slippery pickles are spoiled due to inaccurate measurements or improper storage.
Shriveling comes from using too much vinegar, salt.
Darkening is caused by the minerals in hard water or by using ground spices instead of whole.
Do not cook pickles in copper or iron pot, this causes change in color.

You will need:

Fresh pickling cucumbers 2-3 pounds, sliced to your preference
8 cups water
2 cups vinegar
1 cup pickling salt (can be found on the baking isle or canning isle)
6 Tbsp pickling spices
2 heads of fresh dill or 1 Tbsp dried dill seeds

Boil water with vinegar, pickling salt and spices and dill to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Let liquid cool , place cucumbers in a container large enough to hold spears and liquid, pour liquid over the top and cover pickles completely. Refrigerate for 3 days before eating. The brine will infuse the cucumbers while in the refrigerator and taste wonderful. Place pickles in glass mason jars with brine if desired. Stores in refrigerator for 3 months.

Sheila


No comments:

Post a Comment